We are excited to welcome you to Edinburgh College. To help you start off your journey in the right way we have come up with the ultimate checklist of things you need to do to get started as a student at Edinburgh College.
First off, have you accepted your offer and completed the self-enrolment form? If not, you should contact Student Records. Click here to email them.
If you have completed your enrolment and you are ready to start, complete these 5 steps:
- Make sure you can log in to all College systems
- Apply for any student funding and support
- Tune into the College Induction live on Teams
- Check your College emails for information from your lecturers about next steps.
- Complete our Welcome to College survey
Continue reading for a guide to completing these steps. Remember, if you at any stage are unsure if you've got it right - get in touch!
Step 1: Getting access to your online learning
For the beginning of your course, the majority of learning will be online, along with the College-wide induction. You’ll need to log in to a couple of systems to access your timetable, your induction, and online learning. These are:
- Office 365 (for emails) and Microsoft Teams (online classes)
- MyEC app (available for Apple & Android)
Click here for a helpful guide to logging in to College IT systems. Below is a summary:
- Your username is your student number - it looks like this: EC1234567
- Your password
- If you are a new student or haven’t been a student for more than a year, your password will be in this format: changemeDDMMYYY - you will need to replace letter with your date of birth. (For example: if your birthday was 1st February 1999, your password would be changeme01021999)
- If you were an Edinburgh College student last year, you should be able to just use the same password as before. If you can't remember your password, or it isn't working, contact IT, and ask them to reset it for you.
A couple of pointers for logging in:
- For Office 365 and Teams your username is your college email adress, which is your EC+ @edinburghcollege.ac.uk. For example: email@example.com.
- When logging into Office 365 make sure the login screen looks as pictured below
- For Moodle you will only need your EC number
- The password is the same for both
- For logging into Moodle the first time, it works best if you do it through a browser (for example Chrome or Firefox)
Step 2: Funding and Student Support
While at Edinburgh College there are a number of ways you can be supported to succeed. The sooner you get in touch with the relevant departments, the sooner the support can be in place.
- Apply for any student funding you are eligible for via the Student Funding team - contact them by email here or phone on 0131 297 8650
- Student funding could be your EMA, bursary, childcare funding or discretionary. We have more info here.
- Contact Learner Support if you think you have any additional learning needs. They can help you with things like extra time in exams, or other specialised support. You can email them here.
- If you are in doubt about your need or eligibility for support it is always worth getting in touch with the Guidance team here.
Steps 3 & 4: College and Course Induction
Edinburgh College induction sessions will run online from Wednesday 2nd to Friday 4th of September. These will be broadcast live on Teams - make sure you're signed in to you college account (see above), and then click on "EC Weclome". The sessions will also be recorded so that you can watch them back if you aren't free at the time they are broadcast. The timetable of the induction week is below:
Wednesday 2 September - 10am - 12pm
- Welcome to Edinburgh College – Welcome from Principal Audrey Cumberford
- Campus Safety Briefings – watch campus safety videos followed by a LIVE Q&A with our Estates Manager
- Meet your Students’ Association (ECSA)
– meet your 2020/21 Student President, Vice Presidents and the ECSA team
Thursday 3 September - 10am - 12pm
- Live Introduction from ECSA Officer
- Moodle and Microsoft Teams demonstrations – pre-recorded demonstrations on how to navigate Moodle and Microsoft teams
- Mobile College – How to download and navigate MyEC (the Edinburgh College app) – pre-recorded video
- Introduction to Edinburgh College Social Media channels – pre-recorded video
- Live round-up from ECSA
Friday 4 September - 10am - 12.30pm
- Student Funding – what you need to know – pre-recorded information video followed by a LIVE Q&A with our Student Services Officer
- Learning Support at Edinburgh College
- An overview of the LDT team – pre-recorded information videos followed by a LIVE Q&A with a member of our LDT team
- Careers Advice at Edinburgh College – pre-recorded information video
- Looking after your Wellbeing – pre-recorded information video followed by a LIVE Q&A with our Wellbeing team
- Closing remarks from Principal Audrey Cumberford
Please note that the end times may run slightly earlier or later due to the live elements of some sessions.
Your lecturers should also be in touch with you with details of your specific course induction process. Classes begin from the 7th September. (Please be aware courses were originally due to start earlier - this means your timetable and MyEC app might show as you having classes in the two weeks before that. No need to worry though, as that is simply a glitch!)
A link to your timetable will have been emailed to you. You should check your timetable regularly. The link is live, so keep checking in case it is changed before your first classes.
Nearly all classes will be online through Teams - your lecturers will let you know if you need to come into campus for a specific class. If you do need to travel to campus, be sure to read our travel advice first.
Step 5: Complete the Welcome to College Survey
Click here to complete the Welcome to College Survey. This survey lets us (Edinburgh College Students' Association) know more about the students that we represent, so that we can do that better. It also lets you tell us what activities and sports you're interested in, so that we can send you more relevant information and keep you to date throughout your studies.
Edinburgh College Students' Association exists to help you throughout your time at college, and that starts right now - so please get in touch with any questions you might have.